❀New Machine!❀

So this month I finally got a new sewing machine.

I went with the Brother Fs40, a very reasonably priced computerized model. It’s so quiet and quick. I love it!

The first project I did with it was just a little alteration. This sheer top has a crossover neckline and an under bust tie. The top has always felt slightly too small and as it stood the tie was sitting across my bust instead of under it.

I unpicked the shoulder seams and added two fabric panels. It was surprisingly easy and the top fits great now. I think it looks really good and you can’t really tell its been altered.

About a month or so ago I treated myself to a couple of P4P patterns and here’s one of them. The Boundless Knit Dress. I’ve used a lovely tropical print jersey which drapes beautifully.

It was relatively easy to make. The pattern calls for you to line the bodice which removes the need for any hemming or banding on the neckline. However I didn’t have any fabric for this so I opted to make a bound neckband. I used a tutorial from Melly Sews and it turned out perfectly! I am so happy with this dress. I can see its going to get a lot of wear this summer!

Ps How cute would the bodice look as a crop top?!? 😍

Upcycle Project

A little rescue project. I’ve had this dress for many years and even at my slimmest it was slightly too small. But that skirt material 😍😍 . I couldn’t bear to part with it. So now i have a fab new skirt!

I unpicked the skirt from the bodice then created a new waistband. I’ve been salvaging buttons, elastic and zips from any old clothes I throw out. So I used some elastic from a bleach stained pair of harem pants.

I chose to do the fold over type , mainly because the elastic was a struggle to stretch whilst still sewing in a straight line. It means the skirt is a bit shorter than planned, but I’m still happy with it.

I might even see if i can unravel that bodice!

Weekend Update

I couldn’t resist this lovely remnant piece on my last fabric shopping trip. I love the dusky mauve colour and understated floral print. I figured at the least I could hem it and have a pretty scarf.

I’ve wanted to make my own kimono style cardigan for a while but I wasnt sure this was enough fabric. After watching a few videos I settled on this one by Mighymannie.

My sleeves are a few inches shorter than hers because I just didn’t have the width of fabric. In the end I cut very little off to make my T shape. None the less I’m really happy with how it turned out. I’ve trimmed the sleeves with dusky pink lace.

I’ve also done a little upcycle with an old mens jumper. It’s 70% lambswool so it seemed a shame to throw it away but I found it a little shapeless as a jumper. I just cut straight down the middle and hemmed it. Then I cuffed the sleeves as they’re too long.

Now I have a cosy slouchy cardigan!

Drum roll please

Latest addition to my wardrobe ❀ Its turned out beautifully and I’m so so pleased.

The pattern is by Straight Stitch Designs and can be found here.

I’ve added 4 inches to the length as it was a little too mini for me. I’ve also deepened the neckline by two inches.

This my first time using woven fabric (on a garment) and the first time I have ever done bias binding.

As you can see from the pictures I didn’t use the crochet inserts (maybe next time).

I cut the two insert pieces vertically for contrast. They go across the shoulders and sleeves.

It looks great on and I’m looking forward to wearing it!

❀❀❀