Et voila, one (slightly modified) Wise Owl Hat!
Triumph after near disaster
I’ll start at the beginning, I cast on using a 7mm needle ( the pattern calls for a 6mm one).
It knitted up really quickly and the cables were a doddle, before I knew it the owls were forming
Due to the increased needle size the hat was going to turn out too tall so I cut out a few rows, decreasing faster than instructed and it turned out really well!
After trying it on I decided the ribbing wasn’t tight enough. I used the cutting trick I mentioned in a previous post…this time it didn’t work out quite as well.
The ribbing didnt unravel properly and I had to cut it off! I managed to avert total disaster by threading a 5mm circular needle through the stitches just above the rib to catch them before they unraveled.
It didn’t look perfect but it wasn’t a write off. I knitted the rib again and managed to rescue the hat.
I then added a cute pom pom to the top. For the eyes I used the lovely blue buttons I had stashed for Miriam because they are the perfect colour for this hat.
I think the difference in results of the cutting technique is because the ribbing wasn’t in a different yarn from the body. Or maybe because the hat is knitted in the round and the cardigan sleeve is flat.
There are still some small imperfections in the hat just above the rib but they arent visible unless you examine it closely.
Weirdly there’s actually an article about cutting your knitting in this months Lets Knit magazine.
Its called Steeking and can be used to make cardigans by knitting the body whole and then cutting the opening down the front.
Sounds terrifying but a great technique for an almost seamless cardigan.